About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Canine company



Being disabled I spend much time alone at home, so having a dog is a wonderful idea (that is if you like dogs!). We have a rather large, ugly, heavy set, drooling, smelly dog, who I utterly adore and wouldn't trade for all the tea in China. To tell the truth I'm not much of a tea drinker, and rather prefer coffee, but I digress……….. we initially got our dog in order to guard the house, but she soon won her way into our hearts, and slowly has turned herself into an "assistance dog". She was never formally trained for this task, but somehow over a period of time as my health deteriorated, our dog's natural instincts picked up on the fact that I am to be 'handled with care'. When I'm in pain, she'll come and sit by my legs, resting her head on my knee, with huge doleful eyes looking up into my face as if to let me know she understands. When I'm having a particularly bad Parkinson's day and my balance is off making me unsteady, our dog follows me around constantly from room to room, and she won't leave my side, keeping a watchful eye on me. I have fallen several times, and on each occasion she's immediately come to me, stands perfectly still by my shoulders, allowing me to put my full weight on her as I pull myself up. So despite her loud snoring, the perpetual drooling, and that the house permeates with "odour cologne of dog", I can't imagine her not being a part of our lives. Once you have been smitten by a Dogue de Bordeaux, your life, not to mention your house, will never be the same again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment