About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Creative debate

You may have read on the Internet, the debate that took place between several lawyers about whether artistic/creative talent, being enhanced by disease or medication is a question of authenticity. It is an interesting question, but I feel bares no relation to sports for an athletic achievement, which is performed once, is never repeated. The concept of ability enhancing cannot be applied equally to physical and conceptual as they belong to distinctly different aspects of our beings. I have to mention at this point, that since I was very young I have always written stories and poetry, and won second prize for writing a short poem when I was 17 years old. I have always had a creative mind, but recently due to insomnia (a common symptom of Parkinson's) with much time on my hands in the middle of the night, my writing has been prolific, so my ability/talent I have always had, and was most definitely there to start with. Someone who has no talent, cannot possibly wake up one morning and start writing something of consequence! This just doesn't happen. You are either creative, or not. I think sometimes in life, changes occur that simply make one write more, (or less like when you hear of authors having a "writer's block"). If anyone is put through life changing events such as living with chronic disease, it is bound to make one stop and think, and in my case, write down all my feelings and thoughts, dreams, and fears on paper. I am thrilled that I have sparked such an interesting debate, and the mere fact that this discussion took place, means I am getting my message out there and people around the world are paying attention, reading my poems and hopefully becoming more aware of Gaucher and Parkinson's, and what it means to live daily battling chronic disease. When you get people talking and discussing something - that has to be a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. Elaine, We love you and blessed that we know each other for so many years. You are right, that it is a good thing that people are discussing something! from 2 of the 4 members of the "4 Chicken Club" :-) Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete