About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Daunting occasions

Going to a function, be it a wedding or other occasion can be daunting for anyone with Parkinson’s. Most halls today fortunately take into consideration disabled persons; parking spots allocated near to the entrance and slopes or ramps for wheelchairs are provided. However, the difficulties encountered are often not these obvious ones, but simple things people may not understand or appreciate. Walking with a crutch in one hand, a tiny evening bag in my other hand, leaves me unable to hold a glass or a small plate of food with a fork and be expected to eat whilst standing up. The logistics are simply impossible. I'm afraid of dropping the whole lot on the floor, or down the front of my dress, and so I politely refuse any drink or food that is offered to me, for I simply cannot manage. Sometimes at these types of receptions there are few chairs, and only very high bar stool type seating is available – again a big problem for anyone disabled. Watching everyone else tucking into the tasty hors D’oeuvres and sipping champagne from elegant long stemmed glasses, leaves me feeling upset and frustrated that I am afraid to join in such a simple activity. Those who know me personally understand, but it wouldn't occur to a stranger, who doesn't realise my situation, why I am refraining from drinking or eating anything. Parkinson’s affects every aspect of one’s life, and leaves nothing unchanged. 

No comments:

Post a Comment