About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How do you know when to help?

Family and friends are often in a quandary when to offer me help. No one wants to make me feel helpless and yet they also don’t want to leave me struggling and frustrated when I do need assistance. It’s a fine line to tread, knowing when to step in or when to hold back, and I appreciate the predicament. Being at family for dinner, I was eyeing the roast potatoes which looked crispy and delicious, but I refrained from taking any, as I could see they were going to prove very difficult to cut and would possibly end up ricocheting off the walls, awkwardly landing in someone’s lap! Finally my husband who is finely tuned in to my needs and feelings, without a word or any fuss, took a potato and cut it up on my plate. As my family and friends become more aware of Parkinson’s they are able to understand the limitations, the symptoms and how and when to offer help. Everyone has heard of Parkinson’s – a common disease affecting millions across the world, but many don’t know or understand the complex symptoms, sides effects of medications and what it is like to live 24/7 with a degenerative disease that accompanies one like a shadow. This is why I have taken on public speaking engagements, despite my poor condition; I feel strongly that if I can bring greater awareness, my suffering will not have been in vain. For no one can speak better about this subject, than a person who is battling daily with Parkinson’s.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing such an amazing and informative post .really enjoyed reading it. :)

    Apu

    CPAP

    ReplyDelete