About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, March 2, 2012

Making things easy

Getting dressed is such a performance these days; I am always on the lookout for clothing or accessories that are “Parkinson’s friendly”. I found a wonderful scarf which is like a long tube, and can be wrapped in different ways resulting in quite an elegant look, but the clever thing is, once this scarf is on, it doesn't flop down or fall off – it stays put, which is great! It comes in various colours and a wonderful addition to one’s wardrobe. Being disabled, and not terribly mobile, I feel the cold more than others who are physically active. I don’t want to be wrapped in a blanket resembling an old lady, so this stylish scarf does just the trick in keeping my shoulders and neck warm. As for footwear, the man who invented Velcro in 1948, George deMestral (a Swiss engineer) – God bless him, for he must have had Parkinson’s in mind. Doing shoes up that have Velcro straps makes life so much easier than the frustrations of fiddling with tying laces or doing up buckles. 

2 comments:

  1. Pleased to hear that you have such a positive attitude and always with a smile on your face. I think it must be in our family genes as Graham had the very same way of coping with his disabilities by keeping the brain busy and active to compensate for what the body could or would not now do . Long may your efforts last. With all my love and good wishes, Renée

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that we often think of you and your book you wrote and it makes us think positive and not complain but appreciate what good fortunes comes to us and our children and grandchildren. You make us see things in perspective and be positive. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete