About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, April 23, 2012

First signs

The first signs of Parkinson’s are sometimes vague and subtle, often dismissed or lead to an incorrect diagnosis. Every patient is different, and no two people will experience exactly the same symptoms, therefore the signs can only be an indication. However, if someone has a number of, or all the following symptoms, medical advice should be sought. Generally the first signs are a slight tremor or shaking, possibly in the legs when you are sitting down, which was in fact the first symptom that I felt, but just on the left side. A change of handwriting is also a sign that something is wrong. Losing one’s sense of smell is yet another early symptom, but as this disappeared gradually, I didn't notice until my sense of smell was completely gone. Trouble sleeping; tossing and turning, disturbed nights is common to Parkinson’s patients. Stiffness in arms and legs, in particular when walking, if your arms do not swing, but stay rigid by your side, this is yet another sign. My husband noticed early on that my left arm did not move when I walked. Speaking, one’s voice can sound soft or horse almost as if someone has turned the “volume” down. I used to have a loud voice and don’t stop talking, so when my voice goes from time to time, this is one of the few symptoms that my household is quite happy about; for occasionally they now get some peace and quiet! Not standing up straight and having slightly hunched shoulders is another early sign. There are no standard or precise indicators for Parkinson’s, as every person is individual so these first signs are only a rough guide. Someone may experience just a couple of the symptoms whilst another might encounter them all. If you are at all worried you may have Parkinson’s I would highly advise seeking proper professional advice, preferably from a neurologist, who is experienced and capable of diagnosing neurological problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment