About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The “happy gene”


I had four wonderful older brothers. Sadly two have passed away, and are always in my thoughts and very much missed. I am grateful to still have two brothers, but this morning I want to tell you about one particular brother who shares my fate in being born with Gaucher disease. Just thinking about him, immediately brings a smile to my face. He has a youthful spirit, a contagious laugh, smiling eyes and is an incredibly brave man who suffers greatly from ill health, yet remains dignified and composed. We both express ourselves through different mediums; I love to write and my brother draws and paints. He is an incredible artist and extremely talented. You only have to meet my brother once to realise that he also possess the “happy gene” that I have spoken of before. The “happy gene” of course does not really exist; it is merely a phrase that I have coined to describe the incurable cheery positive personalities that my brother and I possess which cannot be extinguished or doused. No matter what circumstances we find ourselves in, the two of us always manage to put on a brave smile, baffling the doctors and those around us with our British dry sense of humour and optimistic attitude. This “happy gene” is our secret weapon to get through life. 

3 comments:

  1. Whether you call it a happy gene or not, this is something we should all remember every single day and it will help people get by.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this gene doesnt skip a generation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in your blood; just tap into it!
      K.

      Delete