About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Severe pain

I have been in severe pain for several days, unable to use my right arm or hand at all. I have been writing my blog laboriously slowly using one finger on my left hand. Frustratingly I cannot dress myself, cook, or do almost anything independently at present. How do I continue through such periods? I count my blessings, and think of all the wonders that life holds. Life is precious, and as poorly as I am right now, I remind myself of what makes life worth living. There is nothing more beautiful than the innocent contagious laughter of a young child, or the endearing toothless grin of an elderly person who may no longer remember your name, yet still has a mischievous twinkle in their eyes reminding you of the person they once were. I love the thrill of the first rain, refreshing the garden washing away all the dust. Who doesn't love the cheerful sound of a champagne cork popping and glasses being filled to celebrate some happy occasion? The delicious taste of dark chocolate as it melts in your mouth. Watching a sunset over the sea, glorious colours glistening across the water that are simply breath-taking. The voice of a dear friend on the other end of the phone letting you know they’re thinking of you. Receiving a bouquet of flowers and the pleasure they bring every time you look at them. Have you ever had a kiss that made your knees go weak? Or made love on a rainy afternoon that leaves you smiling like a giddy teenager all the following day? My heart is warmed by a certain look my husband gives me and only me, that speaks volumes. These are some of my favourite things. Having brunch yesterday with some friends, who although we have known just a short time, its as if we've known each other for years. Sometimes you meet people who you simply "click" with, and it was wonderful to spend time in their company and we are never short of conversation. I was naturally very tired afterwards, but I was able to rest in the afternoon, and I know that I’ll get through this period, my shoulder will heal, and life will continue.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully stated, Elaine! Love always, Kate

    ReplyDelete