About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Great Ormond Street Hospital

I was diagnosed with Gaucher disease at the age of five; little information was known about this rare condition in those days, and therefore it was decided that I should be under the care of GreatOrmond Street Hospital, the famous children’s hospital to which the legendary author J. Barrie gave all the rights of “Peter Pan” in 1929. I remember visiting this hospital once a year for a general check-up, and every waiting area, department or ward had the most beautiful carved wooden rocking horses, each one different and individual. I spent my 14th birthday in that hospital, which was the last year I would be accepted there since I was no longer, considered a child. Unlike Peter Pan, I had to grow up and have since celebrated several  birthdays in various other hospitals, but only in Great Ormond Street Hospital, where every child is special and the kitchen staff never grow old, did they bake me a birthday cake. I can’t say for sure if Tinkerbell visits there from time to time, but some magic fairy dust must have been in the air when I underwent major surgery, the surgeons not knowing if I would survive or not, were delighted with their success when they eventually sent me home to recuperate. Thank you Great Ormond Street and may you continue your magic of helping the children that come through your doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment