About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, September 30, 2012

The sandwich generation

We are often called the 'sandwich' generation, for whilst still bringing up our own children we find ourselves additionally taking care of aged parents. My daughter may beg to differ, for she has unfortunately received a double dose, and possibly a 'double decker' sandwich would be more fitting a title in her case. My daughter helped me take care of my mother as her health declined due to dementia which pushed us all to our limits despite our love and devotion to her, and unexpectedly now finds herself for some years also looking after me whist I battle Gaucher and Parkinson's. Being a child with a sick parent is not an easy position to fill and part of her childhood inevitably has gone by the wayside. A child grows up awfully quick, learning life skills and taking on responsibility that far outreach their age or level of experience. I have seen this in other families who are in similar circumstances, and there is a huge difference in maturity and abilities that most children with healthy parents are not exposed to. I often feel guilty that she has not lead a normal care free childhood, but what she has gained is beyond measure; a wealth of experience that has prepared her for almost anything life should throw her way, making her a remarkable young woman.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, she is a wonderful young lady; one who has remained true to herself and her values, while doing whatever is necessary to help family.
    K8

    ReplyDelete