About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hospital Check-up

Having the misfortune of being born with a rare chronic disease (Gaucher) and diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson’s at age 44, I am never short of what to do. Being chronically ill is a full time job! Kept constantly busy with doctor’s appointments, prescriptions to be filled, physiotherapy, and all the challenges that are thrown my way, just making it through each day and night is an accomplishment in itself! Yesterday I spent the day in hospital for my regular six monthly check-up for Gaucher, and as I have often mentioned, this outstanding hospital with marvellous staff are well deserved of the high reputation they hold. I am indeed fortunate to be under such care, and never take this privilege for granted. At the Gaucher Clinic they have a Multi-disciplinary team, who work together providing the very best of care for the patients, and  hold a weekly meeting to discuss particular cases or bring staff up to date with new information. Yesterday was a long day for me; a battery of tests which I undergo enabling the doctors to keep a close eye on my condition. On the way home, I naturally fell asleep in the car, and want to tell you of a little tip someone suggested. The last time we flew, a thoughtful airline stewardess, seeing my discomfort, gave me a small blow up pillow that fits snugly around the neck. When sitting in a chair, or in a car, using this pillow enables one to fall asleep, keeping the head in place, instead of  flopping to one side and later painfully waking up with an aching neck. If you have one of these little pillows - they are great for car journeys, or if you take a power nap in an arm chair at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment