About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Excellent aid

I have great difficulty in getting in and out of a car, and need to park my behind on the seat  first and then swivel my legs around into the car. I think in my case, this is mostly due to the Gaucher disease rather than the Parkinson's. Nevertheless, it is a common problem for many. Sherryl from the Young@Park always finds interesting information and shares it with the Parkinson's community. I wrote an article for The Huffington Post recently about problems choosing a car with a boot large enough to hold a standard wheelchair, so wanted to tell you of Sherryl's recent report of an incredibly useful gadget to help getting in and out of a car. It always amazes me of how people come up with these new inventions. Whenever I see something like this, I always wonder "why didn't I think of that?" - I'm sure we all do the same thing! Sometimes something so simple and small can really make a difference. Take a look at the site about "Handybar Automobility Solution Kit.

I remember when I first started using crutches to walk around, I suddenly thought of a gadget to attach them to a table, as they always seemed to fall down or get in the way when we were out at a café. As we sat there, I even went as far as to draw a sketch of my idea on a paper napkin and my husband and I came up with a really good catchy name for it. As soon as we got home, we looked on the Internet to see if anything like this existed, and lo and behold, almost identical to the gadget I had drawn appeared before our eyes on the computer screen. Someone else had had the same idea, and beaten me to it. What a waste of a good paper napkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment