About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Rigidity


Waking in the morning, for many Parkinson's patients is an agonising experience, for during the night, the body becomes stiff and rigid, therefore moving in bed or attempting to get up can be very difficult. I almost feel like the tin man in The Wizard of Oz, creaking and needing oiled joints to loosen the rigidity. If only it were that easy! It's hard to find a comfortable position in bed, and should I want to change positions, it's painful moving. Once up and out of bed, after a while I loosen up a little, but my balance is poor, and have fallen several times recently. Thankfully each time I've been lucky and had a soft landing. Moving house recently has really taken it out of me, and my energy levels are at an all time low. Some days I feel as if I am running on an empty tank and in slow motion. I used to be so organised and quick, a master of multi tasking. Now things are very different, and I'm lucky if I manage to complete something at all, before getting distracted or losing focus on what I am doing. But all this comes with the territory - Parkinson's  has many symptoms and stages, and each patient is a different story, so I was surprised to read that there are five stages of Parkinson's:

Symptoms in one side of the body, poor posture, shaking and tremors.
Affecting both sides of the body, daily tasks difficult to perform.
Balance and impairment - mild to moderate slow movement.
Severe disability - balance and movement.
Wheelchair bound - not able to take care of oneself.

I don't know how accurate this is, and upon what data it is based, since every patient's symptoms vary slightly, and no two patients experience the same things. How these five stages were determined, I'm not entirely sure.

My latest article appears in The Huffington Post if you'd like to take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment