About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Soft landing

Falling is a common symptom of Parkinson's, and can cause complications one frankly can do without. I fell again recently, on the day we moved house, but luckily fell into our dog's bed providing a soft landing. We have a huge dog, and therefore her bed is extremely large, but I did however bang my head hard on the ridge of her bed. Laying there with my legs ungainly hanging over the end of her bed, must have been quite a comic picture, and our dog curiously nuzzled me, baffled as to why I had decided to take a sudden rest in her bed! Although thankful to land on something soft, the thought of laying there in our dog's smelly, hair covered blankets made me want to jump into the shower immediately! The removal van had just arrived, so my shower had to wait until the evening once we were in the new house. One of the workers from the removal firm saw me fall, and thoughtfully gave me a drink, and although I appreciated his concern, it made me wonder why people always offer a glass of water or a cup of sweet tea when something unexpected happens. I think the gesture actually makes the onlooker feel better and gives them something constructive to do, rather than actually helping the person in distress. Although the workers were unaware of my medical condition, once they saw my crutches, wheelchair and i.v. stand, I think it was pretty clear that I'm not in the best of health.  I don't know of anyone who likes moving house, and I have moved more times than I care to remember, so I have no intention of moving again. Home is where you hang your hat, and my hat is out of its box and hanging on the wall. I'm not going anywhere - I'm finally home!

No comments:

Post a Comment