About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Spirits lifted

We lived for some years in a very small apartment, totally unsuitable for a disabled person. The doorways and corridors not wide enough to allow a wheelchair through; a dangerous slippery bathroom tiled floor, steep steps leading out into a tiny garden, were some of the problems to mention a few. A more unsuitable apartment would be hard to find! Although cosy and charming; having made many happy memories there, it was time to move on, to somewhere that suited my needs. Now in our house that has been made especially with my disability in mind, life should be more comfortable and already feeling at home in our new surroundings, my spirits feel lifted. Waking up the first morning, seeing the sun streaming in through the windows, and looking around, was a fantastic feeling. Taking a shower was a pleasure; the non-slip floor tiles gave me a feeling of security and safety. Having our first breakfast here, trying to find where everything was in the kitchen took a while, but eventually we managed to make some coffee and locate the cereal. It will take me some time to recover from this move, and running on adrenaline and pushing myself to the limit, has now left me depleted of energy and worn out. My husband has born the brunt of all the anxieties and organizing things, running here and there, and somehow holding it together throughout the last few months, which I am eternally grateful for. It has been a very difficult period for him, working full time, and building our house whilst taking care of me, ensuring I was relieved from any stress or worries. As anyone with Parkinson's knows, anxiety exacerbates the disease at an accelerated speed. However, we are thrilled to be here and have no intention of ever moving again! I would love to tell you of all the disabled friendly features that we've incorporated into the house, but you will have to wait for another day. I'm afraid it is taking a great deal of effort to type this morning. So I will bid you all a lovely day wherever you may be in the world, till we meet again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You are a very lucky woman to have a husband like yours, but remember, behind every successful man, there is a loving woman.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete