About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Keeping a schedule

I am a creature of habit and like to adhere to some sort of routine, which is pretty difficult when no longer able to go out to work. A large percentage of the population having nine to five jobs, running children to school, or various extra curricular activities, participating in weekly social events keeps one on a regimented timetable and like clockwork you know what day of the week it is! Being housebound most of the time, the days can run into each other, therefore I find it's important to create some sort of schedule, giving me a framework that organises my time. There is so much in our lives we have no control over, that trying to maintain a schedule of sorts makes me feel I have a little influence in what goes on in my life however trivial it may sound. I try to do as much as I can, often overdoing things, but this is my nature. Keeping occupied when chronically ill is vitally important, and although completing a small task, may leave me exhausted, the feeling I've accomplished something more than makes up for this. Parkinson's may be keeping me hostage, but writing sets me free, hence much of my day is relegated to writing. Someone kindly gave us some lemons from their tree, so given lemons, instead of making lemonade, today I am going to attempt making a lemon meringue pie, for a special visitor. This is one of my family's old favourites, and a desert which I've not made in very long time. Wish me luck, and let's hope that I don't drop it on the floor, as I have a feeling my dog who will eat almost anything and flabbergasts us at her gastronomic tastes, might not be over enthusiastic at clearing up a sharp lemon desert!

1 comment:

  1. Just to share, I read your post on triggers, and about your surgery. My mother passed 3 years ago. She had Parkinson. About 1 year before her symptoms she had a cat bite and a severe infection. Stayed on antibiotics many weeks. I always wondered about that being a trigger, her immune system weakened??? But it was also in her family history, mother's side, a sister had it, and my Mother's sister has it, but the shaking is her only symptom. She is about 86 now. Just thought I'd share this for your info and research. Good luck with the pie:-)

    ReplyDelete