About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Music Magic

Music has long been used as therapy for many different reasons; not only in nursing homes, hospitals, day centers, but also in people's private homes. The benefits are very plain to see and healthcare professionals often recommend music therapy as an additional tool in treating a long list of conditions such as Parkinson's, depression, strokes, Alzheimer's and brain injury.  Although there is little data proving why music and movement improve certain diseases, there is no doubt that there are positive effects on patients participating on a regular basis. For anyone who has difficulty in moving or speaking, music/dance therapy is definitely worth a try, in particular Parkinson's patients show remarkable improvement, not only with their movement but  lifting spirits, almost like re-charging one's batteries. I find it highly therapeutic listening to music that I enjoy, and in particular, if I am having a bad Parkinson's day, music is a great distraction. I was listening to Christina Aguilera's song "Something's got a hold on me" and felt it was almost written for someone with Parkinson's in mind. Have a listen to the words!

Often people hear songs, but don't really listen to the words. When someone is talking to you, listening is not merely sitting and looking as if you are paying attention; it is taking in every word and processing its meaning, trying to understand a new point of view from a different perspective. Getting people's attention when it comes to unpleasant matters, and things we'd rather not think about is pretty hard to do. Having just had my recent article published on The Huffington Post, I can see that this particular topic still bears much stigma and shame. I hope you will read my article and pass it on to anyone you think may benefit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment