About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A moment of despair

This poem was written in a moment of despair during the night when my body racked with pain; I was unable to sleep or find a comfortable position for a moment's relief. This is what it feels like when Parkinson's is at its worst. Despite my devoted husband laying by my side fast asleep, I couldn't have felt more alone in the world. Most patients suffering PD wont mention "down moments" like this, let alone write about them for all to read. I therefore felt it important to share this poem with you today, not with the intention of making you sad or depressed, but merely to illustrate how this degenerative disease slowly but surely steals away one's life and what goes through a sufferers mind in desperate moments.


A Beacon

I once was a shining beacon,
For all the ships at sea.
My light was bright and ever shone,
A full life awaited me.

But now my light is fading,
It flickers and splutters by day,
At night can barely be seen,
As it meekly fades away.

A tiny ember where a flame once burst,
Sadly now all remains to see,
One day a gust of wind will blow,
Snuff out the light and set me free.

Written by Elaine Benton© 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment