About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bad memory


A local shop I often frequent is a small family run business. The first time I went in there, the lady enquired as to why I was walking with a crutch, so I explained I have Parkinson's. Satisfied by my simple one line answer, she went ahead and served me. I happened to drop in several days later, to buy something, and she asked me again why I was walking with a crutch. I felt a moment of deja vu, but politely told her I suffer from Parkinson's (I thought it was a little too much information to add I was also born with Gaucher disease). Content, she nodded her head and asked me what I needed. The third time I went in to this particular shop, I was greeted by the same smiling lady, and she asked me "You're still walking with that crutch, aren't you better yet?" Astounded by her question, I almost felt I was in the Twilight Zone, and beginning to wonder who had the bad memory and who had Parkinson's! I told her that one didn't get better from Parkinson's, that it's a degenerative disease and unless a cure is found soon, I would only be getting worse. "That's terrible" she said, flabbergasted at this appalling information. I agreed with her that it is terrible. "You shouldn't stand for that, you should do something about it" she told me with great verve in her voice. So I began to tell her of how I had written a collection of poems that was made into a book, and hadn't stopped writing since. I told her about my daily blog, public speaking and writing for The Huffington Post. I had only dropped in there to buy some cinnamon, which should have taken me a minute or two, and instead I ended up sitting down and speaking to her for almost 40 minutes. As other customers entered the store, they were told to shush and wait. I ended up with a small attentive audience in our corner shop who now know about Parkinson's. Education is the key, and we may presume that everyone's heard of Parkinson's, but clearly not; I can see that my work is far from done.

No comments:

Post a Comment