About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, May 3, 2013

Life is what you make it

You have the power to change your life, the ability is in your hands to live the best possible life you can despite ill health. I don't mean for one moment that you have the capability to cure yourself of Parkinson's, Gaucher, or other illness that to date there is no cure. However, you can make the decision to live your life to the full and embrace the good, whilst not in denial, acknowledging one's disability without allowing it power to take over your life. Living with two diseases makes me look at the world in a very different way, and sometimes I'm short of patience finding it hard listening to people gripe about small inconsequential daily matters. If only they could see what I do, they'd begin to realise and understand how small and insignificant their worries are. Maybe then they could really "live" their lives and make the most out of what they have. Don't sweat the small stuff. I would give anything to magically wake up one morning and no longer have Gaucher and Parkinson's disease, but I know this isn't going to happen. I do remain hopeful however that a cure will be found for Parkinson's, and I pin my hopes on this, which keeps me going. As much as I fight and battle through each day, to some degree I have to live in harmony with chronic disease - I have no choice. I wish you all a very good, restful and enjoyable weekend. Whatever you are doing, whoever you choose to be with - make the most of each moment and situation you find yourself in. If you have good health, don't waste this precious gift that you've been given, for I would swap with you in a heartbeat!

I would like to thank the Parkinson's News who have featured two of my recent articles that appeared on The Huffington Post. 

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice thought about life, Elaine Benton. I loved your articles. They are so general yet they have been giving new information and I feel very glad to read and follow the points. Keep writing blogs.

    Regards,
    Arnold Brame

    ReplyDelete