About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day

In England the very first day of May is celebrated as "May Day". As the warmer weather begins, trees and flowers start to bloom;  this is my favourite time of the year - not too cold and not too hot, and the beautiful blossoms adorn the countryside. Many years ago it was thought to be a season for love and romance, a time to express joy and hope after the cold winter months. "Joy" and "hope" two very important words!

Due to Parkinson's, the body doesn't always respond when we want it to. Sometimes by simply tricking the brain by focusing on something else can help to some degree. I find that loud music with an upbeat tempo can drown out irritating Parkinson's, but I doubt this would go down very well with our next door neighbours if I had the volume turned up high constantly. As for buttons; don't you just hate them? One or two are bad enough, but a cardigan involving 8 or more is simply too frustrating for words! A fellow sufferer told me a trick she's come up with when doing up buttons. She closes her eyes, and somehow this makes it a little easier. I tried her suggestion, and lo and behold she's right. Of course one can't apply this to everything. I don't think it would work when retrieving coins from my purse, particularly in a shop when someone with no understanding is impatiently waiting behind me. Finding what works for you; hearing of tricks and advice from other patients is worth a try and may help with coping and doing small difficult tasks. If you have any suggestions of your own, please do share them with me, and I will post them on this blog so that others in similar circumstances can benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment