About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

What day is today?


I had a good laugh with a friend the other day, as we talked about not knowing what day it is. Now if she happens to be reading this, she'll be thinking "Oh no, Elaine's writing about me". Don't worry - your identity remains secret! 

When one doesn't work and is housebound, the days can run into one another, and on occasion, I must admit, I don't know what day of the week it is. Apparently I am not alone, as I found others have the same difficulty, but without the excuse of having Parkinson's and being at home with no particular schedule. Maybe that's why I write a daily blog; just so I'll know what day it is! No, I only jest. My wrist watch has the date on it, but with poor eyesight, I can no longer see the date. Thank goodness the date is a little larger and clearer on my mobile phone and computer. In a local retirement home, I noticed in the day room, a large board with the day of the week, date, month and year clearly displayed. The staff pay attention to change this board every morning which I'm sure is of great help to the residents. 

The hospital I attend have large wall clocks in each ward, but no date. Perhaps if and when they need to replace these clocks, they could purchase something that not only tells the time but the date too. Being hospitalised, and completely thrown out of one's normal routine, understandably one hasn't a clue what day it is, and often without my watch, phone or computer, I am quite lost, especially if it's a long hospital stay. 

Some years ago, when my mother was being assessed and finally diagnosed with dementia, one of the questions asked was: "What day is today?" Knowing full well that my mother didn't know the answer, I had to smile at her ingenious answer that she said with a big smile and a humorous lilt to her voice; "It's the day after yesterday and the day before tomorrow!" This didn't fool the psychologist however, as she had heard many a creative answer before, but she did give my mother a big warm smile at her resourcefulness. Zero for getting the answer wrong, but 10 out of 10 for effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment