About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Thinking ahead

A few health officials have visited our house, which has been especially designed around my needs with disabled friendly features necessary to create a safe and comfortable environment.  When friends or neighbours first come to see the house, they are amazed we've thought way ahead for the future, thinking of everything we could, to make our home wheelchair accessible, safe, low maintenance, the emphasis being on comfort rather than style. 

To many it may appear premature and give the impression that I've given in to the fact that one day I will be completely wheelchair bound. I look at it quite differently, for a great deal of time, effort and thought, goes into building a house for a disabled person, and although I'm very optimistic, hoping a cure will be found before I deteriorate much further, it would be irresponsible and negligent for us not to create this environment now whilst building a new house. To make changes to a finished house is costly, creates a lot of strategic problems, an amazing amount of disruption, not to mention dirt and fine dust that manages to seep into every corner of your house no matter how much you cover your belongings in plastic sheeting. Putting my health issues aside for one moment, let's face it, none of us are getting any younger, and our house is perfect for "old age". We all eventually unwillingly surrender to the ageing process, for there's no escaping "father time" whose clock ticks on whether we like it or not, along with "mother nature" who defiantly endows us with her gifts of greying hair, lines and wrinkles, the weathered features of a long life well spent. 

So if magically a cure were to be found for Gaucher and Parkinson's, our house would still be very comfortable and suitable for our "golden years". We will never have to move again, which delights me no end, for I don't wish to see another packing box or reel of brown tape in my life! Take a moment to look at my latest article on The Huffington Post and let me wish you all a very good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment