About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Parkinson Education

I've often heard the phrase "location, location, location" when referring to homes or businesses! Well I don't know about "location", but after last week I can see that "education, education, education" is far more important. I received many comments and messages about my last article in The Huffington Post and wanted to reassure you all that I am not at death's door, and am feeling slightly better than last week which thanks to the care of my doctors there's been an improvement.

I purposely wrote a rather strong article, as a few things have happened recently bringing my attention to comments, that left me thinking how serious does the general public take Parkinson's. Despite a great deal of publicity this disease has received, I now wonder how much people really understand the suffering involved, and I wanted to bring home my message loud and clear, that this rotten disease is not to be taken lightly or dismissed.

I have spoken of the problem many times, how some people make assumptions and jump to conclusions merely from a visual picture. Just because someone is wheelchair bound, does not necessarily mean they are suffering. They may simply be disabled and unable to walk, but other than not having the use of their legs, they are in good health. If I were to stand next to someone like this, at a glance, who would you presume is the individual suffering more? Most just see a wheelchair and preconceived stereotypes make them come to the wrong conclusion. This is why I passionately continue to write, and be an advocate in the hope of educating those who badly need to wake up and pay attention. Parkinson's is not a walk in the park! It's a nasty, degenerative, life shortening, serious debilitating neurological disease, that for now, has no cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment