About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Parkinson's Exercise

The old saying "no pain - no gain" is a definite "no no" when it comes to anyone suffering from ill health. As my physiotherapist told me a long time ago upon one of my first sessions, "if a certain exercise or movement hurts - stop doing it!" Good advice indeed and particularly for me where my issue isn't just merely Parkinson's but is compounded by having Gaucher disease, leaving me with painful joints and delicate bones. Exercise is however very important for anyone with Parkinson's, for we all know how rigid and  painful muscles and joints can become, especially after a night's sleep, a journey in the car, or simply sitting at a dining table for an entire evening. If you have the ability to join a group especially for those suffering Parkinson's, then this is ideal, as you also benefit from the social aspect. But if like me, you are isolated, and don't have the ability or facilities, there are many simple safe exercises you can do in the comfort and privacy of your own home. Take a look at this clip on YouTube which may be of help to you. Thank you Sherryl for taking the time and trouble. Your advice, experience and input are much appreciated by the Parkinson's community.

No comments:

Post a Comment