About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Adaptability

I received an e-mail from a lady who lost her husband due to suffering from Gaucher and Parkinson's for some years, and with her permission, I am sharing some thoughts on losing someone dear, and a book which helped her see "what to do next".

Naturally when one's spouse is diagnosed with any serious debilitating or fatal illness, life inevitably changes no matter how much one would like to stay in the safe land of comfortable denial. Dreams and plans for the future have to be adjusted accordingly, and sometimes are lost altogether. Staying flexible wherever possible is fundamental in dealing with these altering circumstances. Taking one day at a time, and coping with a new situation that feels alien, is not easy but this is where our inner strengths come into play. Most people in these unfortunate situations find themselves coping, and doing things they would never have envisioned, suddenly taking on the role of caregiver and running in "auto-mode" to some degree. Everyone reacts in different ways, but ultimately deal with the same problems, so any practical advice could be invaluable and welcomed.

When one's spouse passes on, life is understandably never quite the same again and one has to almost "re-invent" oneself. Knowing that life must go on, yet floundering as to countless new things one has to deal with that were taken care of before, can be an overwhelming position. Starting a fresh chapter in your life, is probably the last thing you want to do, but with courage, inner strength and the human thirst for survival, picking one's self up and moving forward is inevitable.

A book well worth reading, entitled "Saturday Night Widows" by Becky Aikman, is written with humour, a lot of wisdom and offers the reader hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment