About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, September 2, 2013

It was Parkinson's - not me!

Although Parkinson's has robbed me of many things that I enjoyed doing, despite being extremely slow and taking a great deal of energy, I can still manage to bake a cake or prepare a meal. I used to do a lot of cooking, every day preparing fresh food, trying new recipes making a three course dinner in no time at all fit for a king, but today things are quite different, and I have to be satisfied with what I can manage to do. We used to have dinner parties all the time years ago, but now I have to carefully plan the meal ensuring the least amount of work, foods that can be prepared ahead of time, and several days between entertaining, giving me time to recover.

Running low on baking ingredients, my husband took some time out of his busy day to take me to an amazing shop; the Mecca for anyone passionate about baking. Walking into the shop, it's like an Aladdin's cave filled with eye catching goodies from floor to ceiling, wall to wall with every product and gadget related to baking you could possibly imagine. I would happily spend hours there, given half the chance, perusing every shelf at great length. This is one of my favourite shops and the owners know me well, for I have been going there for many years. As I picked up a bag of dark Belgium cooking chocolate, I carelessly held it by a corner, and before I could avert calamity happening, the bag tore open, spilling all the delicious chocolate pieces onto the floor. I stood holding the empty bag, looking horrified at the mess I had made, not to mention the terrible waste of precious top quality chocolate. The shop owner, hearing my dismayed gasps, came running to where I stood frozen to the spot, apologizing profusely, and embarrassed at my carelessness. She very sweetly told me not to worry, calmly took a fresh bag of chocolate from the shelves and led me out of the aisle that lay strewn with luscious chocolate, lest Parkinson's and I cause any further commotion. Getting back into the car, clutching my purchases, my husband jokingly said "I can't take you anywhere twice except to apologise!"  I think it will be a while before I can show my face again in my favourite shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment