About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week

From September 9th till the 15th September 2013, it is 'National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week'. Now that's a long title if ever I heard one, not only does it not roll off the tongue, but you try saying this sentence quickly several times when speaking in public. It's a tongue twister if ever I heard one. But not to make light of a serious issue, I have digressed, so where was I? 

What is an "invisible illness" you may well ask? There are many illnesses that show few symptoms outwardly, and yet can be highly debilitating, leaving family and friends puzzled, especially when it comes to mental health problems or a rare disease such as Gaucher, that most have not heard of. On a good day, if I have make-up on, dressed up to the nines, have some energy and a smile on my face, at a glance, you would never dream I have anything wrong with me. On the rare occasion that I am feeling relatively OK, this is when people sometimes say the most disparaging thoughtless things. Take a look at this YouTube clip which clearly illustrates what someone has to put up with when suffering an invisible illness.


If you saw a person in a wheelchair, or with a walking frame, you could clearly see that the individual is disabled or suffering a particular disease. It's not always so easy to spot and empathise, when from the outside you can't see anything is wrong. Just because someone looks good, doesn't mean they are well. We are all guilty from time to time of putting people in neat pigeon holes, categorising a person according to our perception and possible lack of knowledge regarding a particular disease. Stay open minded, and if you have a member of family or friend who has an invisible illness, find out more about the disease they suffer from before judging them harshly. Education is high on my list of priorities, and anyone who lives with an invisible illness, I urge you to speak out and make those around you aware.

This blog is followed by over 70 countries around the world, so don't stay invisible - step up and make a stand; show your support for 'National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week' by leaving a comment (anonymously if you wish) or become a "follower" of my blog. Thank you on behalf of all those suffering invisible illnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment