About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Dopamine Shortage

I sent my daughter off to the pharmacy to collect my Parkinson's medications, and much to our surprise were told they had a shortage of Dopamine! I found this curiously ironic, as would anyone suffering Parkinson's since we all have the same problem; a shortage of Dopamine! I presume their short supply difficulty will be easily solved in a day or two, unlike my own situation.
Have you ever stood in the pharmacy, waiting in line, needing to buy something personal and  hoping you'll be served by an empathetic sales lady? Only when it's finally your time to be served, the youngest male member of staff barely showing signs of stubble on his chin, who looks young enough to be your child, makes you withdraw like a shrinking violet. This results in leaving the pharmacy with toothpaste and vitamin C tablets, neither of which I needed, and the very item I went in there for, seems unattainable without feeling humiliated. Of course not having the courage to enter the same premises in the hope of being served by someone else, I search out another pharmacy and begin the process all over again. I'm quite sure this is a common story that many of us are guilty of.
I was once in a pharmacy, standing in line behind a lady, who continually scratched her head. She made it to the front of the line and asked the pharmacist for shampoo to treat lice. You can imagine everyone's immediate reactions, and without a single word spoken, the line of people behind her backed away several meters. As she turned around having purchased the shampoo, she realised we were all standing well back and the poor lady blushed as she rushed out of the pharmacy.
There is no easy solution buying products or filling prescriptions in a pharmacy when it is of a personal nature. The only answer is to send someone else!!!

Every day tasks become a chore when you're not well. Cooking can be difficult with Parkinson's, but tackle the kitchen with a sense of humour and a little shake of this or that and hey presto you have an article for The Huffington Post.  Have a great weekend everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment