About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Is DBS an option?

I have come across a number of patients who have had DBS (deep brain stimulation) and the procedure has been a success. Unfortunately there are some cases which generally one does not hear about, that are not completely effective. Speaking recently with two ladies, both of whom have undergone DBS, experience great difficulty in walking and speaking, despite going through this very invasive procedure. I found it curious that no official body or doctor knew or would talk about the cases deemed unsuccessful. Is it a matter of not every Parkinson's patient being a good candidate for DBS? Is it down to diverse techniques in different countries? Or is it just statistics, like with any operation, there are a number of unexplained cases that for some reason end unsuccessfully?
It was brought to my attention that The National Parkinson Foundation has produced a comprehensive publication, and whilst reading through it, I found for the first time, the issue revealing that DBS is not for every patient and I quote:

"Unfortunately, most people with PD are not good candidates for DBS because many of the symptoms of advanced PD do not respond to this treatment."

Take a look at page 3 entitled "Treatment" and read for yourself. I would like to thank the doctors who wrote this paper, for their honest professional opinions. I think I can probably speak for most in saying as a patient, one would rather know the truth, even if the prognosis is not so good. At least you know where you stand and can then take appropriate action and make a "game plan". Information and knowledge are paramount to coping with any serious illness. Knowing all your options and consequences are important facts that we need to be armed with before making any major decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment