About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Parkinson's Review On Book

A wonderful review by Jeff Dawson was left on my Amazon page relating to my book "Parkinson's, shaken, not stirred", and I thought I would share it with you. Thank you Jeff for your marvelous words of encouragement and support. I'm glad you enjoyed my book.  

"Elaine Benton has taken the high road with this collection of poems describing her life with Gauchers and Parkinsons. At times, the poems are uplifting and comical. Others reveal the dark side of how angry she is the disease is robbing her of her independence and ability to care for her daughter and faithful husband. And others are just the facts of acceptance. One could cry over spilt milk and we know the end result; the milk is still spilt and sooner or later it must be tended to. Elaine doesn't dwell on the spilt milk. She focuses on the remaining amount in the container.

My father had a mild touch of Parkinsons, it only affected his hands when he picked up his cup or mug. Drinking anything became a true adventure for him, so when she starts describing the Locomotion or the Parkinson pirouette, one can't help but get up and start shuffling to their favorite tune. Yes, I felt I was there with she and her family. To use an American expression, "A Good Time was had by All!"

In the poem, "Angry," Elaine lets it all hang out; worrying about the impact and footprint she will leave on our planet. She needn't worry over this. Her words of living one's life to the fullest despite being disabled will be her legacy. I would suggest any doctors/neurologists,psychologists or psychiatrists who have patients with the disease, get a copy and use it in their therapy sessions. It might show them the light on how to adjust their treatments and truly connect with their patients. Elaine, fear not, your place in Heaven is reserved and your words will last long past the illness. Well done!"

1 comment:

  1. Jeff Dawson's review is so true. Your book will be a legacy to people suffering from Parkinson's and Gaucher's disease - in fact, your positive attitude helps many others who do not know how to see the half-full cup, who complain about so much instead of being positive..

    Jill

    ReplyDelete