About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Great British Bake Off

A good friend of mine, knows I love to bake and cook, so the other day she told me "You have to watch The Great British Bake Off - you'll love it". Taking note of her recommendation, I began to watch this BBC 2 programme, and yes, my friend was right …..I love it. What's not to like? Every type of baking you can imagine, old favourite deserts and cakes, along with more complicated and sophisticated recipes. The two judges are highly skilled and professional, Mary Berry is totally charming, and as for Paul Hollywood, he's captured the attention of women in England by the apron strings; he can come and whisk my egg whites into stiff peaks any-time!
Last night I went to bed at 9:30pm, fell asleep, but woke up at 01:00 and found I was unable to get back to sleep. Unfortunately insomnia has returned, and I'm quite peeved! I was in a lot of pain, and although I usually write when I can't sleep, the pain was too distracting, so I decided to do what a fellow sufferer does and turns to baking when he can't sleep at night. I made his ginger biscuits the other day which were most successful, but fancied making something I had seen on The British Bake Off programme. I ended up spending the night on-line and found Paul Hollywood's recipe for a yeast apricot couronne, and got busy baking. It turned out delicious, although it didn't look quite as perfect as seen on television, I think Paul would not judge me too harshly considering I have Parkinson's. It was ready and waiting on the kitchen counter just in time for breakfast. My family awoke to the smell of freshly baked couronne and my husband needless to say was delighted and wants to thank my friend for telling me about The Great British Bake Off which I am now addicted to watching. However, I'm not so sure this latest activity in the middle of the night is going to be that good for my waist line.

Next time my friend recommends me watching a particular television programme, hopefully it won't involve any calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment