About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Be Ready

I always like to think ahead and prepare for every eventuality. Although this isn’t always possible, I do the best I can. I mentioned in a previous blog, that I have a special bag always packed and ready, for I've been hospitalised on frequent occasions through the ER. Often with little warning I suddenly am admitted into hospital and having a bag ready saves a panic hunting for things and hoping I haven't forgotten anything. It's a little like a pregnant lady in her 9th month, who has her bag packed, so that when the time comes, all she has to do is grab that bag and get to the hospital post-haste.
A few of you have asked me what do I keep in this bag, so here's a list of items I generally take to hospital:
A full week's supply of my Parkinson's medications.
Two copies of a list of my Parkinson's medications, listing name of pills, dosage and time to be taken (I give one to be put in my file when arriving in the ward, and another is attached to the chart at the end of my bed. I ensure to write in large red letters on this list the few medications I am allergic to.
Ear plugs in case my room mate snores, and if she doesn't then I can hand them to her, as I've been told I snore like a midnight symphony, (and not a good one!) but I'm sure it's not true. Sounds far too unladylike.
Old slip on house slippers.
A small pad of paper and pen (I'm a writer - I never go anywhere without paper and pen!).
Tissues.
A wash bag with small travel size toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush, a small hand mirror and a scrunchie should I need to put my hair up.
Hand cream.
Lip balm.
Wet wipes (super important - never go anywhere without them).
My mobile phone on a cord so that I can wear it around my neck.
The phone charger.
An MP3 player so that I can listen to music and its charger.
A large plastic bag to put my clothes in and another to put my shoes in.
Fresh underwear for the day I am released and  come home.
A small empty plastic bottle that can be re-filled with water from the fountain in the ward so that I have water available on my bedside table should I want to drink or take my Parkinson's medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment