About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, June 20, 2014

The Dental Domino Effect

As with any serious on-going illness, there is a domino effect as symptoms of the disease itself and side effects of medications alter the fine delicate balance of nature and our bodies begin to suffer further complications. One such effect, is dental health, and it appears there is now data to substantiate evidence of impact both from Parkinson's and Gaucher disease. Is it any wonder I've had so much dental work done over the years? I don't seem to do anything by halves!


Saliva is nature's way of protecting the teeth and gums, containing antibodies that fight infection. Many Parkinon's medications cause one to have a dry mouth, subsequently lack of saliva, can increase the chance of tooth decay and gum disease, also often causing bad breath. There are products available to help alleviate a dry mouth. A change in diet may also help. Consult with your dentist to ensure you have no problems brewing that if left undetected could escalate into major dental work. Pay attention to any changes and look after your teeth.

Gaucher disease also poses some strange anomalies that often a dentist may be unfamiliar with. If you have Gaucher disease, make sure to inform your dentist so that he can read up and become informed about the effects Gaucher disease has on dental health.


The same can be said for many medical problems, that are compounded by the effects of medications for an on-going long term disease.  You have to be your own advocate and as I recently said to someone; the best advice I can give is: listen to your body and that inner voice which often intuitively tells us when something is wrong. Pay attention, for your instincts will guide you well.

"If only we could make time stand still" a friend said in an e-mail recently, who also suffers from Parkinson's (and often my muse), prompted this week's new article for The Huffington Post. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent your great post.This post is important for human health.This post give more important knowledge about dental problem remove tips.Your post is helpful and important.Thanks a lot for share your great post.

    ReplyDelete