About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, October 31, 2014

UCLA News on Gaucher & Parkinson’s

Did you ever have a day full of a series of unfortunate events making you wonder if you got out of the wrong side of bed in the morning? One positive thought in the morning, can literally change your day. If you think positive, positive things will happen. It’s the same as smiling at someone, they will inevitably smile back at you. Unfortunately yawning, is just as contagious, but nowhere near as attractive as a smile!

People often ask me how I can remain positive and continue to smile despite living with Gaucher and Parkinson’s disease. Having these two diseases is rare, and there are not too many people in the world who have Gaucher and Parkinson’s. After hearing statistics from several different sources, the actual number appears not to be clear, but it’s somewhere between 50 and 100 people. That’s a VERY small number of patients.

A connection between the two diseases was made some years ago, and research and studies have been going on ever since. Scientists at The University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) recently developed a drug for Gaucher, but instead showed promising results for treatment of Parkinson’s disease. Still in early stages of clinical trials, they have hopes this treatment will have the potential to stop Parkinson’s disease from progressing. 

Thought and planning when building a house or even a public toilet for the disabled is my topic this week in The Huffinton Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment