About me

PROFILE:
I have been writing poetry and stories since I was a child, and a love of reading was instilled in me from an early age. I am passionate about writing, and hope you enjoy the books I have written. Whilst most of you sleep soundly in your beds, like many Parkinson’s patients, insomnia dictates, so during those hours that sleep eludes me, the house is tranquil and quiet, an atmosphere perfect to immerse myself in writing. My life has been a series of strange events, which have without doubt contributed to my creativity. To publish anything is to bear one’s soul to the world. It is to stand naked and let everyone see who you really are. I have poured my heart and soul out on paper and I hope to share this journey, immersing you in a story, capturing your attention and firing the imagination. Through my writing and public speaking I hope to bring greater awareness to the general public about living with chronic disease.

Friday, August 7, 2015

This is Your Life

Do you ever feel that everyone around you is experiencing problems of one kind or another? This is life! I recently wrote to someone that life is full of ups and downs, and anyone who doesn’t experience this, isn’t really embracing life. If we didn’t have any “downs”, how would we be able to recognise and appreciate the “ups”?

Supporting one another when our spirits need to be lifted, receiving words of compassion and understanding, gives us renewed strength and the ability to carry on. It should be a two way street, being there for those you care about, and someone being there when you need a shoulder to lean on, a kind word and a smile.

I was once told that it takes fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown, and with this in mind, I usually have a smile on my face. I remain positive and optimistic, clinging to my favourite four letter word: “hope”.


Having the tools to cope living with a chronic disease is paramount. They are not the kind of tools you can pick up from the hardware store, but rather abilities we hold deep within ourselves, that are either inherent or learnt out of necessity. A sense of humour is valuable in these situations, but of course one cannot suddenly acquire a great sense of humour – either you have one or you don’t! Most fellow sufferers I've come across, appear to have a good sense of humour and rely heavily on their wit, sarcasm or dark humour, albeit slightly macabre to get them through each day.

Now here's a guy who has a great sense of humour and won't give in. Take a look at this short amusing video by Mitch Faile - you'll be smiling I can assure you! 


The world is a small place, but having Parkinson’s it appears to be getting smaller! Take a moment to read my article “It’s a small small world” in The Huffington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment